Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Civic Responsibility

Being a child of the 60's and somewhat of a political activist in my misspent youth my tolerance for apathy has hit an all time low. In recent conversations with my 30 something children and my younger friends I feel as though they have had a disconnect with the election process and the responsibility of every one of us to actively participate. Specifically they have failed to vote.

My father, who had more of an influence in my life than I ever imagined, was the child of Jewish immigrants. They came here in 1913. They had never voted in their lives. If you have ever seen the play or movie “Fiddler on the Roof” it is the life my grandparents had lived. When the Czar’s policing unit came to their village and recommended that they pack up everything they had and move to a different country they took the hint and left. Prior to coming to the United States they had never voted in any election. After coming to this country they never missed one as long as they both lived.

I don’t particularly care (in this entry anyway) how you vote. Just vote. There are those before you who have given their own lives, the lives of their ancestors, the lives of their children for the right to do so. If nothing else you owe it to them. The excuse of “I don’t have time” just means “I didn’t make time”. I voted in the California primary election 2 weeks ago Tuesday, from the time I left my house until I was back home was no more than 10 minutes.

After you have committed to vote, every time, the rest will take its course. By that I mean you will have that moment in the voting booth where you will ask yourself the question; “Do I know enough to make this decision?” The next time you go to vote you will be a little more prepared and each subsequent time you will take the responsibility just a little bit more seriously.

I have a friend at work who is Catholic. I first noticed it when, on Ash Wednesday, he came to work with the “mark” on his forehead. He left it there all day. He went to mass early that morning and took care of his personal commitment. When you go to vote you are given a little sticker with your voter receipt that says “I voted”. Wear it, be proud of the personal commitment, encourage others to wear their sticker, it is the same commitment.

Teach your children to have the same commitment. When they turn 18 (I had to wait until I was 21) and are able to vote, offer dinner out to all who show up on election night with a voter receipt. Set an example by voting every time yourself.

This year we will elect a new president. We will replace members of the House and the Senate. Local officials will be elected and propositions will be decided. Take part, each of you. Ask others to take part. Do not allow your city, county, state or country to be run by less than 40% of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry dad. I'll vote next time. I actually would prefer that nobody else votes though. The fewer votes, the more powerful mine becomes...right? Miles

Anonymous said...

{head hung low in shame}
sorry. point taken.